Shop

Wolf & Woman Pinotage 2023

R308.00

Old Vine Certified
Wine of Origin Swartland

A blend of two different vineyards. Both vineyards are dryland farmed bush vines. The final wine consists of 90% from the Joubertskloof Valley in the Paardeberg region. The vines are 50 years old, grow in decompose granite soils and on a south-facing slope. The remaining 10% is from the Aprilskloof Valley in the Paardeberg. The vines are 23 years old, grow on the ridge at 350m above sea level, the soils being more rocky but also granitic.

All the grapes are handpicked early in the morning, with four different picking dates. After picking, the grapes spend 24 hours in a cold room. The following day they do bunch sorting. 15% of the grapes are left as whole cluster and 85% are fermented as wholeberry. All the parcels ferment in open top fermenters. Natural fermentation will start after 3 days of cold soaking. Extraction is done once a day. The wine spends 14 days on the skins, after being lightly pressed, and then into 500 L and 300 L old oak barrels. Malolactic fermentation happens in barrel. After 8 months in barrels the blend was made and matured for another 2 months in concrete before bottling.

ANAYLYSIS: ALC 12.5% | RS 1.1 g/l | TA 5.1 g/l | pH 3.8

6 in stock

Description

What’s in the name? Jolandie’s husband, Gustav, send her this quote a long time ago: “Some days I am more wolf than woman, and I am still learning how to stop apologising for my wild.” A while later she was at the airport and while waiting to board, she went into a book shop and saw the book ‘Women Who Run With The Wolves’ by Clarissa Pinkola Estés. She immediately thought about that quote that Gustav had sent her and bought the book. After reading it she felt inspired, empowered and able to dream bigger and wilder than ever before. The book opened her eyes to the fact that the ‘wild woman’ is naturally creative, passionate and instinctive. These are characteristics she believes are crucial when you make and live wine. So when the new wine needed a name, this came to mind again.

There are many parallels that can be drawn between women and wolves. Loyal, protective, wild and beautiful, both know the unknowable and sense the unseen.

Jolandie Fouché, winemaker and owner of Wolf and Woman, is a lady to not judge lightly. Woman, wife, mother and gentle friend, she has a strong will to produce exceptional wine from special vineyards. We are privileged and proud supporters of all her wines.

Additional Information
Producer

Wolf and Woman

X