Saurwein Chi Riesling 2023


65% of the blend’s fruit comes from Casey’s Ridge Vineyard, Elgin on loamy and very rocky red slate soils. (Riesling clones WR110F and vineyard was planted 2011.) The other 35% of the blend De Rust Vineyard, Elgin on decomposed Bokkeveld Shale. (Riesling clones 110 & 239 and the vineyard was planted 2006.)

2023 was a great vintage with a very long, cool ripening. Keywords for this vintage: mid-palate weight, sunshine in a glass

Fragrant orange blossom, green melon, lime, yellow stone fruits, honeysuckle, flint.

ANALYSIS: RS 14.2 g/L | TA 8.2 g/L | Alc 11.5 %

6 in stock

SKU: JS001 Category: Tags: , ,

Chi means “life force” and Chi stands for CHIUTA (an African rain god). Situated in the fertile Elgin valley, the picturesque vineyard site inspired the creation of this crisp, handcrafted Riesling.

Grapes are hand-picked, cooled, then hand-sorted, destemmed and pressed. Spontaneous fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks, which lasted about 6 weeks until optimal residual sugar balance achieved. The wine was prepared for bottling and bottled after 3 months in tank and released after another 2 months in bottle.

Additional Information

Jessica Saurwein